Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Xbox mods....

Ok, I broke down and ordered a mod chip for my xbox. My friend Chris was telling me all about how useful it was and got me to thinking. I'd been toying with modding it for a while, considering it's a decent pc with amazing graphics capabilities. So I did it, I ordered the Xenium Ice. A little work opening it up and a quick bit of soldering later and it was in. Turned it on and lo and behold it worked perfectly. I promptly installed a larger 120 Gig HD to replace the 8 gig that was in it. Then started to install applications like avalaunch (a dashboard replacement), dvd2xbox (a game backup utility), linksboks (a web browser), and XBMC (xbox media center, turns it into a home theater hub).

I must say I'm impressed. Now I can listen to shoutcast stations, view movie files, images, play mp3's, check my email, browse the net, and play my games off the built in hd without having to fish out the disk. It also has SMB networking and ftp capabilities to boot.

Of course modding the xbox voids the warrantee but i fifugred that since i had it for 2 years or so, who cares. and worse case scenario i can always do a little quick soldering and yank it back out. I highly doubt I'll have to. All in all very much cooler piece of equipment now. I'm even toying with sticking linux on it. Not for any reason other than just because.

If you have a xbox, I'd recommend modding the machine with this chip. Makes life so friggin easy. All the software is located at the usual places, since they were compiled with stolen software none of the sites offer a download of anything other than source code. But if you have a clue you can find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home